Midnight creature

.
Something lured me into the dark, something I feared so profoundly, and as I feared it grew larger and darker around me and beckoned further in. The night was moonless. The buildings stood still, quietly watching and holding their breath in anticipation of the darkness tearing me apart. Any minute she would take a bite at my neck, then arm, then rip my chest open, claw my eyes out and tear out my tongue. Oh darkness, if only you knew I was speechless already, blind to the truth and broken-hearted - there’s nothing to be had here, just a lonely little girl making her way home. I need my arms though to reach out for him, need my neck to cradle his kisses at the collarbone... I hastened the pace.

I took the right turn. A shadow moved swiftly beside me, following me for a while but keeping distance. I halted. A fox leaped from under a car, gracefully, like he always does, poised and thin. He crossed my path before, eyes gleaming in the dark, I remember his gestures, his lushness, his boredom. I often felt intrigued by the night creature - he knew what the darkness looked like and never feared of her, or so it seemed. But now he stood in front of me like a ghost, something has changed, something that was about to swallow both of us. Oh darkness spare me, I need my arms right now.


I reached out. His lines fine like threads woven into the cloth of the night as of a figure dressed in black, barely there. The cloth that would blindfold me and bind me, but little it mattered in the darkness slowly pouring over us. He waited. Street lights casted long shadows of us and sometimes it seemed my shadow would touch his hand. Cold hands, lost souls shuffling feet, treading to the rhythm of a passing train, we look right, we keep left, we are alright.

0 comments:

Post a Comment